The Edison Township Free Public Library adheres to Article VI of the LIBRARY BILL OF RIGHTS adopted by the American Library Association Council, and endorsed by the New Jersey Library Association. Article VI. states “Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” An interpretation of the LIBRARY BILL OF RIGHTS is stated in the NJLA Intellectual Freedom Manual as follows:
If meeting rooms in libraries supported by public funds are made available to the general public for non-library sponsored events, the library may not exclude any group based on the subject matter to be discussed or based on the ideas that the group advocates. Therefore, use of the meeting room does not constitute Library or Township endorsement of the viewpoints, beliefs, ideas, or policies expressed by the organizations or individuals using the space.
One meeting room is located in each of the following locations
340 Plainfield Avenue
Edison, NJ 08817
|North Edison Branch|
777 Grove Avenue
Edison, NJ 08820
|Clara Barton Branch|
141 Hoover Avenue
Edison, NJ 08837
|Main Library||North Edison||Clara Barton|
|Standing Room Only||163||149||100|
|Tables & Chairs||54||49||33|
Rules & Regulations for Use of Library Meeting Room
- Organizations who desire to use the meeting room are required to complete the application form. Application forms are available online or at the Main Library, North Edison Branch, and Clara Barton Branch. Please note that proof of liability insurance is required.
- The Librarian will notify the organization that authorization for the use of the building has been granted. Applicable restrictions will be noted.
- Applications must be submitted at least two weeks in advance for the desired date and time to be granted. (Bookings may be limited). Meeting rooms are in constant demand and priority is established in the order the applications are received. Since the meeting rooms need to be used for libary programs, outside groups are limited to booking no more than twice a month.
- Library staff will notify the organization that authorization for the use of the building has been granted. Applicable restrictions will be noted.
- In all publicity or announcements relating to a meeting room event, the Edison Public Library may only be mentioned as a location, not as a sponsor of an event or as the headquarters of the organization.
- Library staff retains the right to attend any scheduled meeting or event at the Library to ensure compliance of the room usage.
- Meeting Rooms may not be used for the purpose of religous worship or instruction.
- Meeting rooms are not available for social gatherings.
- With the exception of library sponsored events, no sponsored events, no admission fees or service fees may be charged, no donations solicited, nor items sold.
- A representative of the sponsoring organization must report to the librarian in charge when the meeting has ended, and report the number of event attendees.
- Organizations shall establish necessary measures to conform with the following regulations of the library:
- ROOM SET-UP & CLEAN-UP – Groups are responsible for their own set-up of chairs, tables, etc. and must return the room to the condition in which it was found before leaving. Organizations shall be responsible for cleaning up any trash, litter, or refuse left as a direct result of their activities. This includes dishes, garbage, paper, tidiness of meeting room and bathrooms, etc. Groups must reimburse the Library for any damage that occurs to library furniture, equipment, facility or grounds.
- AUDIOVISUAL EQUIPMENT – The Edison Public Library has built-in AV equipment and free wireless internet available for presentations. Presenters must use their own laptop to connect to the Library’s equipment. Arrangements may be made in advance for an introductory session on using the Library’s AV equipment since Library staff may not be available for technical support at the time of the program.
- SUPERVISION – Buildings shall be made available only to responsible adult groups that will provide supervision of all participants and activities. Adult sponsors are responsible for the behavior of the group as well as for the protection of the building and its contents. Meetings held at the Main Library, North Edison Branch or Clara Barton Branch must end 15 minutes prior to closing. Groups must adhere to the Library Code of Conduct that includes the supervision of children and not interfere with normal Library operation. Policies are available at the desk or online if clarification is needed.
- SMOKING, VAPING, CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, USE OF CANDLES OR INCENDIARY DEVICES AND COOKING IS PROHIBITED IN THE LIBRARY OR MEETING ROOM – Organizations shall inform all members of their staff and all members of their audiences of this prohibition, and take necessary steps to insure compliance.
- CLEAN-UP – Organizations shall be responsible for cleaning up any litter or refuse left as a direct result of their activities. This includes dishes, garbage, paper, tidiness of rooms, etc. No paints or messy craft work will be allowed.
- VEHICLES – Vehicles must be legally parked.
- COMPLIANCE FAILURE – Failure to comply with the rules and regulations of the library will result in the denial of the use of the building for future occasions.
- FEES – The following fees will be charged for the use of the library meeting rooms and must be paid before using the rooms. Fees may be waived for library affiliated organizations at the discretion of the Director:
|Non-Profit Organizations(1):||Suggested Donation: $35.00 per use.|
|Profit-Making Organizations(2):||Suggested Donation: $75.00 per use|
(1) Nonprofit organizations are defined as those organizations with proof of incorporation as a nonprofit or charitable entity; any organization recognized as a service organization; or any local group meeting for a specific not-for-profit purpose.
(2) For-profit organizations are defined as a group or organization whose purpose is to conduct operations to realize a financial profit.
CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE PAYABLE TO THE EDISON PUBLIC LIBRARY FOUNDATION AND SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION
- CANCELLATIONS – Any cancellation of a meeting room reservation must be made five business days before the scheduled meeting date. If the organization cancels a room reservation less than five business days prior to their scheduled date, the meeting room fee shall revert to the library.
- LIBRARY CLOSINGS – In the event that the library must close due to equipment failure or inclement weather, all efforts will be made to notify the contact person listed on the meeting room application. During adverse weather conditions, the group should call the library or check the Library’s website or Facebook page for updates. Organizations scheduled to use a meeting room when there is an emergency closing may choose to have their fee returned or applied to another date.